Strawberry is such a sexy fruit! I love strawberry everything: pies, tarts, galettes and even salads (you can find the recipe of one of my favorite salads with strawberry here).
So when it's a strawberry season, I usually bake a lot of strawberry goodies, and as strawberry goes so well with rhubarb, this strawberry rhubarb galette is one of my favorite recipes for this time of a year.
A galette is basically like a pie, but in a more rustic form: you fold the edges of galette in toward the center and bake it on a regular baking sheet (no baking pan needed). Easy-peasy! Give it a try and I'm sure you will love it!
For the pastry
300g all-purpose flour, 200g cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces), 1tbsp icing shugar, pinch of salt, 90 ml ice cold water + 10ml lemon juice
For the filling
500g strawberries (hulled and sliced), 350g rhubarb (trimmed and sliced), 6tbsp caster sugar, 3tbsp cornstarch, 12-18tbsp almond flour
eggwash (1 egg yolk mixed with 1tbsp milk), 2-3tbsp caster sugar.
1. Combine flour, salt and icing sugar on a working surface (cutting board), Put in cold butter. With a pastry blender or a knife, cut in butter until the mixture resemble coarse crumbs (the size of small peas). Sprinkle 1tbsp of water at a time over the mixture and incorporate gently with your fingertips. Repeat until the pastry begins to hold together. Roll in into a ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate 1-2 hours.(Pastry can be kept well wrapped in the fridge for several days, or frozen for up to 3 weeks).
2. In a big bowl combine together strawberries, rhubarb, caster sugar and cornstarch.
3. On a lighted floured surface, roll out a pastry ball 3-4mm thick and cut out 12 small circles (approx. 10-12cm in diameter) or 2 medium circle (27-30 cm); arrange on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets.Preheat the oven to 180C (360F).
4. Spread almond flour evenly over the middle of each pastry circle, living 2-3cm from the edges. Arrange strawberry-rhubarb mixture on top, fold edges of galettes up over the filling to create a border. Brush edges with eggwash and sprinkle with caster sugar.
5. Bake galettes until crust is golden brown, about 30-40 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool a little bit.
Serve galettes warm with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!